- 1 How big is a 6.5 liter engine?
- 2 Is the 6.5 Detroit Diesel a good engine?
- 3 Is a 6.5 turbo diesel any good?
- 4 What is the difference between a 6.2 and 6.5 diesel?
- 5 How much power can you get out of a 6.5 diesel?
- 6 Is diesel a V8?
- 7 What year is the best 6.5 Diesel?
- 8 How long do 6.5 diesels last?
- 9 Why do Detroit Diesels run away?
- 10 How can I get more power out of my 6.5 turbo diesel?
- 11 How do you test an injection pump on a 6.5 Diesel?
- 12 What diesel engine is the most reliable?
- 13 What does the vacuum pump do on a 6.5 diesel?
- 14 Is the 6.5 diesel still made?
- 15 How much boost can a stock 6.2 diesel handle?
How big is a 6.5 liter engine?
The 6.5L (’92-’00) By increasing the cylinder bore to 4.06-inches from 3.98-inches and leaving the stroke the same (3.82-inches), the 6.5L was born and several versions of the new, 395ci V8 were offered, including both turbocharged and naturally aspirated mills.
Is the 6.5 Detroit Diesel a good engine?
I had no major problems with my 6.5 since i bought it(2+ years). It’s a good engine as long as your familiar with the common issues associated with it. Let it breathe and relocate the PMD and you should be swell. You said your looking at a ’97, it comes with dual thermostats which will help with any cooling issues.
Is a 6.5 turbo diesel any good?
5 GM diesels are decent motors if cared for properly but they lack power. If it were me, I’d hold out and spend a few more bucks on a 12-valve Dodge Cummins of the same vintage. You’ll have a much better truck with a lot more upgrade potential!
What is the difference between a 6.2 and 6.5 diesel?
The difference is in the bore, and in that, the block isn’t ‘hogged out’ as much around the main web areas. More meat in between the cylinders too. Heads are slightly different, be can be used with all 6.5 peripherals no problem. 6.2 heads have bigger valves and have the potential of flowing lots of air with some work.
How much power can you get out of a 6.5 diesel?
The 6.5 was designed to withstand (reliably) about 200 shaft HP.
Is diesel a V8?
V8 Engines: The Distinction Between Diesel and Gas. So, when an engine is a V8, does that mean that it runs on diesel or gasoline? Well, both! Some V8s run on diesel and some run on gasoline.
What year is the best 6.5 Diesel?
The 6.5L Turbo Diesel engine option first became available in GM’s 1992 model year 2500/3500 series pickup trucks. Looking back, we now know that the 1992 & 93 model years were the best years for the 6.5L in terms of performance, customer satisfaction and sales volume.
How long do 6.5 diesels last?
Yes some last longer than 300k, but it’s not the most common thing to go much longer. Many of them puke out between 2-300k. If you have the $$ to do so, while its in good running condition, now would be the time to go through it.
Why do Detroit Diesels run away?
Diesel engine runaway occurs when a diesel engine ingests a hydrocarbon vapor, or flammable vapor, through the air intake system and uses it as an external fuel source. As the engine begins to run off these vapors, the governor will release less diesel fuel until, eventually, the vapors become its only fuel source.
How can I get more power out of my 6.5 turbo diesel?
Here are the top ways to get more out of your engine.
- Upgrade the Air Intake. One sure way to increase the performance of a diesel vehicle is to improve the airflow to the engine.
- Change or Reprogram the ECM.
- Using New Fuel Injectors.
- Performance Exhaust.
How do you test an injection pump on a 6.5 Diesel?
To test the lift pump start the vehicle. Open the T-Valve for a minimum of 30 seconds and let fuel drain from the line into a container. If during the 30 seconds the engine dies or no fuel flows out of the line then your lift pump is bad..
What diesel engine is the most reliable?
Best Diesel Engine – 10 Most Reliable Units on the Market
- 6.6L Duramax LB7 – Overall Best Diesel Engine.
- 6.7L Power Stroke – Best Ford Diesel Engine.
- 7.3L Power Stroke – Best Powerstroke Engine.
- 6.6L Duramax LP5 – Best Year Duramax Diesel Engine.
- Chrysler 3.0L EcoDiesel – Best Small Diesel Engine.
- 6.6l Duramax LBZ.
What does the vacuum pump do on a 6.5 diesel?
Registered. The vacuum pump simply supplies vacuum for any and all vehicle needs. Diesels can’t make vacuum because of the open intake, so the vacuum pump generates a substitute signal for whatever requires vacuum to operate.
Is the 6.5 diesel still made?
The Duramax 6600 replaced the 6.5 in light trucks beginning in 2001 and the C3500HD medium duty cab and chassis (replaced by C4500 Kodiak/Topkick) and vans beginning in 2003, but the 6.5 (6500 Optimizer) is still produced by AM General for the HMMWV. There are several GM 6.5-liter diesel engine production options.
How much boost can a stock 6.2 diesel handle?
New member. I’ve searched a little (not a lot, don’t kill me), and from what I have read, the max boost on a 6.2, safely, is 10 psi.