- 1 How do you set the valves on a Briggs and Stratton?
- 2 What is the valve clearance on a 21 horsepower Briggs & Stratton?
- 3 How do you adjust a small engine valve?
- 4 Can you adjust valves without feeler gauge?
- 5 How do you adjust the valves on a Briggs and Stratton 18.5 hp OHV?
- 6 How do you adjust valve clearance?
- 7 How hard is it to adjust valves?
- 8 What is the valve clearance on a 17 HP Briggs and Stratton?
How do you set the valves on a Briggs and Stratton?
How to Adjust Overhead Valves
- Step 1: Release the brake spring.
- Step 2: Insert a narrow screwdriver into the spark plug hole and touch the piston.
- Step 3: Check the valve clearance by placing a feeler gauge between the valve head and the rocker arm.
- Step 4: Adjust the clearances as required by turning the rocker screw.
What is the valve clearance on a 21 horsepower Briggs & Stratton?
If it turns out that the engine is a 33M677/0149-B1, the required valve clearances are 0.003-0.005″ for both intake and exhaust, but this is different for each different engine size, so let’s make sure we are talking about the right engine.
How do you adjust a small engine valve?
Insert the feeler gauge between the tappet and the cam lobe to start the adjustment. Use a screwdriver to turn the center adjusting screw clockwise in the tappet arm until it sits firmly on the feeler gauge. Hold the screwdriver in place, and then tighten the lock nut. Don’t over-tighten it.
Can you adjust valves without feeler gauge?
Is there a way to adjust valve clearances without feeler gauges? Yes. If you loose compression due to burnt valves, then they are too tight.
How do you adjust the valves on a Briggs and Stratton 18.5 hp OHV?
To adjust the valves on the engine, remove the 4 screws in the valve cover and remove the valve cover. Remove the spark plug(s) from the engine. Put a clean small screwdriver into the spark plug opening so you can tell when the piston is at the top of the stroke.
How do you adjust valve clearance?
To adjust the valve clearances, use a spanner or a socket wrench on the crankshaft-pulley bolt. Turn the engine in its normal direction of rotation until No. 1 piston is at the top dead centre ( TDC ) of the compression stroke.
How hard is it to adjust valves?
Although rockers and shafts add complexity, valve adjustment there is easy. A threaded rod or an eccentric at the end of each rocker arm adjusts the clearance to the top of the valve. Then stick a feeler gauge between the valve stem and the adjuster to check the gap.
What is the valve clearance on a 17 HP Briggs and Stratton?
The clearance on the exhaust valve should be. 005-. 007 inches. If adjustment is required, loosen the allen set screw in the center of the nut on the rocker arm and adjust the nut to obtain the proper clearance.